Banana Honey Dog Treats Recipe
So many pet parents have asked me over the years whether bananas are healthy for their dogs, and I’ve always answered YES, but don’t give them too much or they’ll be spinning around the house with endless energy! Are they nutritional? Absolutely! Bananas are loaded with amino acids, electrolytes, minerals, vitamins B6 and C, potassium, fiber and manganese. Veterinarians also treat certain gastrointestinal disorders with bananas as they are also rich in the dietary fiber pectin, which can promote smooth bowel movements.
So if you’re looking to add a little good fiber to your dog’s diet and help their energy a little too, here’s a great recipe…for both of you…even for your entire family!!! 🙂
2 cups water
2 bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
3. Combine water, mashed bananas, honey, vanilla, and egg in a large bowl.
4. Stir in whole-wheat flour and baking powder.
5. Beat dough with an electric mixer on medium speed until ingredients are thoroughly combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until no longer sticky, 5 to 8 minutes.
7. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into mini shapes with your favorite cookie cutter.
8. Place dough shapes on prepared baking sheets.
9. Bake in preheated oven until cookies are lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
10.Turn off the oven and leave cookies until thoroughly dry and crisp, 30 to 40 more minutes.
11.Remove baking sheets from oven and allow cookies to cool on pans for 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack to fully cool.
This recipe makes approximately 7 dozen dog treats!
REMEMBER to either refrigerate or freeze all natural treats to avoid spoilage and insect infestation.